China Shipping (UK) Agency Co Limited is based in Felixstowe in Suffolk and is part of China Shipping Group (CSG). CSG is a Chinese state owned enterprise employing some 40,000 staff having interests in bulk shipping, tankers and regional container services in Asia and CSCL.
The story of China Shipping Container Lines (CSCL) starts with the formation of the China Shipping Group (CSG) in Shanghai in 1997. Corbel has been the preferred IT infrastructure business partner for China Shipping since 2003.
In 2007 China Shipping moved to a flagship headquarters in Felixstowe. The whole project, including construction of the building, took approximately two years to complete, with China Shipping moving into their new premises in May 2007.
The scope of the project included all key elements required to successfully furnish the new building for 200 people, incorporating a cost-effective and flexible IT infrastructure. This encompassed the following:
- Planning: Design of an integrated voice and data network
- Structured Cabling: Design and installation of a Cat 6 structured wiring solution to include fibre and copper links cables between floors, with cabinets located on each floor. This involved working closely with China Shipping, the architect and other contractors to ensure the installation was designed and installed correctly
- Network infrastructure: Installation and configuration of network switches with a separate Virtual LAN (VLAN) configuration for Voice & Data
- UPS support: Installation and configuration of UPS services to protect the server infrastructure and key users within the IT department
- New telephone system: A new telephone system was designed, installed and configured to support both the Head Office and a remote office in Barking
- Equipment relocation: We successfully migrated the IT equipment that was remaining from the old building into the new Head Office
- Project Management: We provided a project manager who worked closely with China Shipping and their representatives
Our responsibilities to the project were completed successfully with the client experience detailed as follows:
“The move went very well with no disruption to our business, we closed down the old building at 6:00pm on the Friday, with the move scheduled for the weekend, and we were ready for business at 9:00am, with all systems operational, on the following Monday morning.”
“We did not require any late nights over the weekend, as the weekend move was very smooth. The appointed project manager was meticulous in the planning of this successful move, and was immensely flexible in reacting to events.”
“As an example as to the level of care and planning with this move, they went to our furniture maker to measure the new office furniture to ensure that all the cabling was preconfigured before delivery, so we had no surprises on site when it was delivered.”
In more recent years we have been involved in IT Infrastructure refresh projects and IT Disaster Recovery planning. We provide a data replication service and a ‘hot seat’ facility at our fully furnished DR site.